May 5, 2020
This month on Down The Garden Path, we're exploring
"Gardening Beyond the Basics." Learn more about how to create a
low-maintenance garden and straw bale gardening. Get tips on how to
create unusual container combinations and discover new and
wonderful plants for your landscape. This episode kicks off our
month-long discussion about how to take your gardening to the next
Tune into this week's
podcast to learn more about low-maintenance
Some of the topics we discuss:
- Make garden beds larger: Counterintuitive but reduces constant
trimming and pruning.
- Move away from perennials to dwarf shrubs: A lot of
options for small shrubs that require less maintenance and usually
more seasonal interest.
- Stick to repetition: Decrease the variety of plants but
increase the quantity. It's much easier to look after five types of
plants planted in impact groups than trying to maintain 15 or more
different varieties in the same space.
- Use hedges: Evergreen hedges are perfect for defining space and
creating a year-round green edge for your yard and garden. They
distract from the bottom of larger shrubs and trees and no one else
will see the weeds hidden behind.
- Ask for help: Sometimes you need a fresh perspective and that
is something that a garden professional can provide. For a small
investment, you can have a professional look at the big picture,
long term use of space. It will pay off in the long run.
- Use a qualified contractor: If you think it is expensive to
hire a professional then wait until you hire an amateur.
Join us in May for more
"Gardening Beyond the Basics" themed podcasts:
- 11th - Container Gardening
- 18th - Straw Bale Gardening
Each week on Down The Garden Path, professional
landscape designers Joanne
Shaw and Matthew Dressing
discuss down-to-earth tips and advice for your plants, gardens and
landscapes. We do our best to bring you interesting, relevant and
helpful topics to help you keep your garden as low maintenance as