Oct 19, 2021
In this week's episode of Down the Garden Path, Matt and Joanne
welcome Guy Ruccolo, the owner of Blue
Star Nursery, a gardening centre located in Windsor,
Don't miss our
conversation with Guy Ruccolo, owner of Blue Star
Guy answers a few of our questions:
- What's your background in the industry?
- How did you come to own Blue Star Nursery?
- What happens each season at Blue Star? Can you give us a
- Tell us about the products you carry at your garden centre. Do
you grow your own plants?
- How do you find climate change affecting the plants we’re
selecting and planting?
- Do you warranty your plants? (The unpredictable weather has
affected plants so much that now they are warrantying
regular-priced plants until Nov 1st.)
- What do you do with the plant material you don’t sell by the
end of the year?
- What is the effect of certain bans on insecticides on plant
- How have you found the pandemic has affected the horticulture
- What have your biggest challenges been over the last year and a
half with Covid-19?
- What are some of the new and hot plants your customers are
Guy said the hot trend this year is fruit trees, especially the
four-in-one fruit tree!
He also recommended applying nematodes on your lawn to address
grubs. The Windsor area is currently being hit hard by them.
Mosquito Barrier (made with Californian Garlic
Juice) is amazing for treating your yard for mosquitos and can even
help with Japanese beetles.
Here are Guy's plant recommendations for 2022:
- Firelight Tidbit Hydrangea– new dwarf paniculata hydrangea
- Summer Crush Hydrangea– intense “ red” macrophyla
- Firefly Nightglow Diervilla – Native Pollinator, Burgundy
Foliage with yellow flowers, part shade to shade
- Brandywine Maple– Acer Rubrum, seedless 30ft Maple tree
You can find Blue Star Nursery online at www.bluestarnursery.com.
To learn more about how to apply nematodes, listen to our
episode Applying Nematodes.
Each week on Down The Garden Path, professional
landscape designers Joanne
Shaw and Matthew Dressing
discuss down-to-earth tips and advice for your plants, gardens and
As the owner of Down2Earth Landscape Design, Joanne Shaw has
been designing beautiful gardens for homeowners east of Toronto for
over a decade.
And Matthew Dressing is a horticulturist and landscape designer.
He owns Natural Affinity Garden Design, a landscape design and
garden maintenance firm servicing Toronto and the Eastern GTA.
Together, Joanne and Matthew do their best to bring you
interesting, relevant and helpful topics. Their goal is to help you
keep your garden as low maintenance as possible.
Don't forget to check out Down the Garden Path on your favourite
podcast app and subscribe!